Thursday, August 19, 2010

Virginia is for Lovers

About a month ago I had the privilege of being able to shoot my first wedding as an assistant photographer with Wendy of Wendylew Photography. To say I was nervous would be the understatement of the year, but it’s amazing how instinct just takes over and you are so in the moment that you just do without thinking. Besides it was too hot to be nervous! Jon & Elisa’s wedding was held outdoors at the beautiful Tarara Winery in Leesburg on a sunny summer day complete with Virginia’s trademark humidity. However, the heat and humidity couldn’t take anything away from this event. Every last detail was perfect and inviting and in most cases hand created by the bride, Elisa. Guests were drawn in by the brightly colored handmade table linens and mismatched plates, with mason jars as glasses and macaroni and cheese on the menu it was a vintage eclectic meets southern hospitality.




The tent softly lit by glowing lanterns was full of so much love, happiness and genuine affection it was impossible not to be affected by it.  The camaraderie between relatives, friends and strangers alike was incredible – it was clear that everyone was beyond thrilled to be at this winery on this night celebrating these two people.


And the bride and groom? They couldn’t take their eyes off of each other all night.



I feel truly honored to been able to be a part of this amazing couple’s special day and to have contributed something concrete that will help them to look back and remember the day that all of their friends and family came together to celebrate their love for each other. I think I worked harder on this day than I ever have in my life, but the payoff was worth it, emotionally and creatively. I’m truly grateful for this experience and the opportunity I had to observe, to learn and to take gorgeous photographs. Wendy was amazing in giving me tips and feedback as went along and I feel so much more confident after only one wedding. I have another one coming up this weekend, and while I’m nervous, nervousness is definitely overshadowed by excitement. I’m also looking forward to correcting the one major mistake I made last time; whatever you do don’t wear a lined skirt!



No comments:

Post a Comment